To preserve the maritime heritage and traditions of Coupeville, Penn Cove and Whidbey Island through education and public awareness.
The Coupeville Maritime Heritage Foundation was founded to preserve the maritime heritage of Coupeville, Penn Cove and Whidbey Island through education, outreach, and public awareness. The schooner Suva, originally built for Coupeville resident Frank Pratt in 1925, is owned by the CMHF, whose carefully trained volunteer hosts and crew members proudly operate Suva according to Coast Guard regulations. Whidbey Island enjoys a rich maritime history with countless stories dating back to the discovery of the island in the late 1700’s. It is our hope to gather these stories and experiences and share them far and wide, making new ones along the way.
Your membership and donations help CMHF reach our goals of:
- Operating and maintaining schooner Suva
- Upgrading Suva’s major electrical, mechanical and safety systems
- Obtaining Coast Guard Certificate of Inspection (COI) to increase our operating flexibility
- Education, community outreach, hands-on training
- Preserving our Maritime Heritage
(If you would like to contribute without joining, please visit our HOW TO SPONSOR SPECIFIC PROJECTS page.)
For a basic membership fee of $50, members receive 1 member sail and a membership card by mail. Choose a 5 year membership and get a free year of membership! (5 years for $200) (Member sails are generally on the first and third Tuesday at 5:30pm by reservation. Check the website for specific information.)
For members who wish to support the CMHF and Schooner Suva at a higher level, the following premium memberships are available for either a one-time donation or by sustaining (monthly) donations, as indicated:
- Sailor Duo $180 ($15 monthly) – Enjoy one free sail for two people on a scheduled Suva sailing event yearly.
- Commodore $360 ($30 monthly) – Sail with up to 4 friends on one scheduled Suva sailing event yearly.
- Admiral $600 ($50 Monthly) – Sail with up to 4 friends on a scheduled Suva sailing event on two separate occasions, or opt for a private 3 hour sail with up to 10 guests, and obtain advanced notice for Suva Supporter special sails.
- Mosquito Fleet $1200 ($100 Monthly) – Sail with up to 4 friends on any scheduled Suva event AND enjoy a private 3 hour sail with up to 10 guests. Also obtain advanced notice for Suva supporter special sails.
Youth memberships are available($25). Youth members may accompany adult members on membership sails. Youth members 12-16 years old may participate in Crew and Sail training with a sponsor.
For additional membership information, and to arrange private sail events, visit schoonersuva.org or call (360) 632-9999 or (360) 320-4337.
or email email@example.com